PRE (Philosophy, Religion & ethics)
OCR A Level:
Key Stage 3
At KS3, all students follow a common Humanities programme, consisting of discrete lessons in PRE, History and Geography; PRE has 1 x 100 minutes per fortnight; both History and Geography have 2 x 100 minutes per fortnight.
The PRE course follows the Suffolk locally agreed syllabus, with much individual input and creativity from staff. At Farlingaye, Years 7, 8 and 9 study a distinct theme each term. This broadly reflects the 3 key areas of the subject focusing on Philosophy in term 1, Religion in term 2 and Ethics in term 3. Despite this, all 3 areas of the courses are covered discreetly across all lessons where possible.
|Term 1 - Philosophy||Term 2 - Religion||Term 3 - Ethics|
Literacy Focus: SPaG
|Who am I?||Festivals||How should we treat the environment?|
|Arguments surrounding the existence of God||Significant Religious Leaders||Rights; Human and Animal|
|Term 1 - Ethics||Term 2 - Philosophy||Term 3 - Religion|
Literacy Focus: Persuasive Language
|Matters of life and death||The problem of Evil||Religious persecution|
Staff are encouraged to develop and share teaching resources.
A Very Simple Guide to Religious Studies GCSE
Year 10: Beliefs and Practices
1. Christian Beliefs - nature of God, crucifixion, after life.
2. Christian Practices - worship, sacraments, church.
3. Islamic Beliefs - nature of God, five pillars.
4. Islamic Practices - Hajj, Prayer.
Year 11: Thematic Studies - Islamic and Christian Responses to:
1. Religion and Life - the universe, pollution, abortion, euthanasia.
2. Religion and Life - treatment of the environment, animals and humans
3. Crime and Punishment - Aims of punishment, forgiveness.
4. Arguments surrounding the existence of God - philosophical arguments surrounding whether God exists or not.
There are TWO exams at the end of Year 11.
Each exam is 1 hr 45 min.