Linear or modular:
Entry criteria (GCSE grades):
English Language 5 or Drama (if taken) 5
All components of this new Edexcel A level Drama and Theatre course are based around practical exploration of texts or ideas. There is a focus on the theatre-making process to ensure that students understand how to create and develop their ideas for performance collaboratively and then reflect on this process. Set texts require students to articulate how they would perform in certain roles, and design for certain scenes, putting practical work at the heart of the course. It permits each school to create a course suitable for their own students through their choice of play text.
Component 1 - Devising 40%
- Devise an original performance piece, using one key extract from a performance text and a theatre practitioner as stimuli. The centre chooses its own text and practitioner.
- A written portfolio analysing the devised performance.
Component 2 - Text in Performance 20%
- A group performance of one key extract from a different performance text to Component 1.
- A monologue and duologue performance from another performance text.
- The centre can choose its own performance texts.
Component 3 - Theatre Makers in Practice 40%
- Written examination: 2 hr 30 minutes
- Live theatre evaluation.
- Practical exploration and study of a complete performance text. Students answer two extended response questions based on an unseen extract from the performance text they have studied.
Our chosen text is ‘Accidental Death of an Anarchist by Dario Fo.
- Students answer two extended response questions based on an unseen extract from the performance text they have studied-in our case Doctor Faustus by Christopher Marlowe. Students will demonstrate how they, as theatre makers, intend to realise the extract in performance. They have to answer from the perspective of a performer and a designer, demonstrating how their re-imagined production concept will communicate ideas to a contemporary audience. Students will also need to outline how the work of their chosen theatre practitioner, Theatre de Complicite, has influenced their overall production concept and demonstrate
an awareness of the performance text in its original performance conditions.
Teacher responsible: Ms S Cowley.